|Apple iPad 2 for your tween?|
Are there some alternatives?
Amazon's top selling tablet is the ASUS Eee Pad Transformer:
|ASUS Eee Pad Transformer TF101-A1 10.1 inch Tablet Computer|
Click image for current pricing and availability at Amazon
Generally sells at $399.99, for 16 GB version, $499.99 for 32 GB version
- Operating System: Android 3.0 (Honeycomb) Platform
- Display: 10.1-inch WSVGA IPS capacitive multi touch display built with durable and scratch-resistant glass; 178° viewing angle(1280 x 800)
- Chipset: NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 Mobile Processor
- Memory: 1GB DDR2
- Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
- Bluetooth: Bluetooth v2.1 + EDR
- Storage: 16GB eMMC Flash (Memory expansion via microSD card slot with support for optional cards up to 32 GB (functionality requires future software upgrade)
- Camera: 1.2 megapixel (Front); 5.0 Megapixel (Rear)
- Speakers: SRS Sound
- Card Reader: Micro SD Card Reader
- Input / Output: 1 x Mini HDMI, 2-in-1 audio jack (head phone/mic-in jack), internal mic
- Battery Pack: 24.4 W/h Li-polymer battery (up to 9.5 hours)1
- Dimensions: 10.67" x 6.89" x 0.47" –inches (W x D x H)
- Weight: 1.5lbs
|Samsung Galaxy Tablet with wi-fi|
Retails at $349.99
- Android Froyo (2.2); CPU: 1GHz A8 Cortex Processor;
- Battery: Li-Polymer, 4000mAh
- Memory: 16GB Internal Memory; Up to 32GB Expandable Memory (microSD)
- WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n; USB 2.0; Bluetooth 2.1 Connectivity
- Audio: MP3, OGG, AAC, AMR-NB, AMR-WB, WMA, FLAC, WAV, MID, AC3, RTTTL/RTX, OTA, i-Melody, SP-MIDI
- Display: 7.0" WSVGA Display; 600 x 1024 Pixel Display Resolution; 3.54" x 6.05" Display Size; 16M TFT Display Technology
- Video: Codec: Mpeg4, H.264, H.263, Divx/XviD Format: 3gp(mp4), wmv(asf), avi(divx), mkv, flv
ViewSonic gTablet with 10" Multi-Touch LCD Screen, Android OS 2.2: 5th best selling tablet at Amazon
Superpad 10.2" Tablet PC, Google Android 2.1: 6th Bestselling Tablet at Amazon
|Superpad 10.2" Tablet with Google Android 2.1|
$199.99 (or less, on sale)
- 10.2" Android 2.1 Tablet PC Touch
Processor, Memory, and Motherboard
- Hardware Platform: PC
- Processor: Unknown
- Number of Processors: 1
- RAM: 256 MB
- RAM Type: DDR DRAM
- Size: 2 GB
On the other hand, when it comes to an iPod or smartphone, the size stresses my own eyes, and I don't like the idea of encouraging eye strain in my tweens. Given the choice of an iPod touch, or an inexpensive tablet PC, I prefer the size of the tablet.
|8GB iPod Touch|
If you are considering a tablet as a means of equipping your tween with an amplified ereader device, the cost of Kindle, particularly the Kindle with special offers, is much safer, should a mishap take place.
|Kindle with Special Offers|
The latest generation of Kindle choices
includes a basic Kindle, priced as low as $79.
In recent months, Amazon rolled out the new Kindle Touch, a touchscreen tablet ereader which also includes web browsing, email, and apps. In conjunction with the announcement of Kindle Fire, a tablet that costs $199, the other members of the Kindle family have seen price adjustments. The Kindle Fire promises to be a great tablet choice, at 40% of the cost of the most basic iPad. There will be digital streaming of video and music, ereading (in color), web browsing, and android apps.
Meanwhile, in staying competitive, Barnes and Noble has introduced the Nook Tablet, costing $249, and has lowered the price of the Nook Color to $199. The simple Nook Touch is now $99.
If you want more function than that of an ereader, a netbook is a great choice, and I'm much more comfortable with what I've seen in the ASUS versions. Not to be handled haphazardly, of course, the ASUS netbooks still feel and appear as if they can withstand the close calls a tween will inevitably have. Setting ground rules is essential, but I would prefer the combination of functions, size, and casing, to the fragility of a tablet.
|ASUS EeePc 10.1 inch Netbook|
$249.99 at Amazon
If you are intent on any tablet PC for your tween, serious discussion about responsibility is important, as well as protective casing. An extended warranty is highly recommended for any tween device.